Horniman Museum Logo Redesign
Graphic Design | Layout Design
HISTORY OF HORNIMAN MUSEUM
The museum was founded in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman. Frederick had inherited his father’s Horniman’s Tea business, which by 1891 had become the world’s most significant tea trading business.
The cash from the business allowed Horniman to indulge his lifelong passion for collecting, and which after travelling considerably and had some 30,000 items in his various collections, ranging from natural history, cultural artefacts and musical instruments.
In 1911, an additional building to the west of the main building, formerly containing a lecture hall and library, was donated by Frederick Horniman’s son Emslie Horniman. Townsend also designed this. A new extension, opened in 2002, was designed by Allies and Morrison.
SUBJECT HORNIMAN MUSEUM REBRAND
Project for City and Guild Graphic Design Course, the brief was to create a new set of signs to direct visitors, the aim here was to colour code the department and differentiate each area so that visitors were able to follow the signs.
Clear visual signage
Logo Redesign and Signage
Horniman Museum logo and signage design was part of the coursework for the City & Guild Graphic Design course in London.