Horniman Museum – Logo ReBrand City and Guild Project
By Nuision Designs
History of Horniman Museum
The museum founded in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman. Frederick had inherited his father’s Horniman’s Tea business, which by 1891 had become the world’s most significant tea trading business.
The cash from the business allowed Horniman to indulge his lifelong passion for collecting, and which after travelling considerably and had some 30,000 items in his various collections, ranging from natural history, cultural artefacts and musical instruments.
In 1911, an additional building to the west of the main building, formerly containing a lecture hall and library, was donated by Frederick Horniman’s son Emslie Horniman. Townsend also designed this. A new extension, opened in 2002, was designed by Allies and Morrison.
Horniman Museum Logo ReBrand
Project for City and Guild Graphic Design Course, the brief was to create a new set of signs to direct visitors, the aim here was to colour code the department and differentiate each area so that visitors were able to follow the signs.
Client: City and Guild
Subject: Horniman Museum Logo ReBrand